Q: Whose expenses qualify under my Dependent Care FSA?

A: Your work -related expenses must be for the care of one or more members of your home who are qualifying persons. You must provide over ½ of the qualifying person’s support. The qualifying person cannot have income in excess of the Federal exemption amount.

A Qualifying Dependent is:

  • Your qualifying child under the age of 13, who shares the same residence with you, or

  • Your spouse or qualifying child or qualifying relative who is physically or mentally unable to care for him/herself who shares the same residence with you and has income less than the Federal exemption amount.
If you are divorced, you must have physical custody of your child for over half of the year, in order to be eligible for reimbursements through your flexible spending account. If custody is exactly equal then neither parent can use the childcare expenses.  The parent who has more than 50% custody is eligible for the dependent care regardless of who claims the tax exemption.

Physical or mental incapacity must be disabling.  Persons who are not able to dress, clean or feed themselves because of physical or mental problems are considered unable to care for themselves.  Persons with mental defects who require constant attention to prevent them from injuring themselves or others are considered unable to care for themselves.

Q: Does my dependent care provider have to be a licensed day care center?

A:   Your dependent care provider  does not have to be licensed, unless they care for enough individuals to require licensing in your State. They must provide you with their Tax ID Number or Social Security Number.  You will need this number for the required filing of Form 2441 (or Schedule 2, if filing a 1040A) with your Federal tax return.

Additionally, the care provider cannot be a relative of your that lives in the same household or your dependent that is under the age of 19 (even if they don't live in the same household).

Q: Why do I have to sign my claim form?

A: The regulations provided by the Internal Revenue Code require that a participant provide a statement, with each reimbursement request, that reimbursement will not be sought from another party.

Q: What documentation do I have to submit with my claim form?

A: Each item claimed must be supported by a statement of services from an independent provider.   Documentation must contain the following information in order for payment to be issued:

  • the provider of services;
  • the person obtaining the care;
  • the date(s) of service;
  • the amount charged for the services; and
  • a general description of the services provided.

In lieu of documentation from the provider that includes this information, you may have your care provider sign the ASIFlex claim form.  If the signature of the provider is included, no additional documentation will be required.


Q: Do I have to provide proof of payment with my claim form?

A: No.  The Internal Revenue Code does not require proof of payment prior to submitting the items claimed. 

Q: Can I fax my claims, and, if so, to what phone number?  Is this a toll-free number?

A: Yes, you may fax your claims.  ASIFlex's fax number for claim submissions is (877) 879-9038.  This is a toll-free call from anywhere in the USA.

Q: Can I email my claims or submit them online?

A: You may submit your claims online through https://my.asiflex.com.  Please note that you must send all documents with your claim as one attachment (preferably as a PDF).  ASIFlex no longer accepts claims submitted via email.

Q: What is the mailing address for mailing my claims?

A: ASIFlex's mailing address for claims is:

PO Box 6044
Columbia, MO 65205-6044

This is the preferred mailing address.  However, if you are sending something through a courier service such as UPS or FedEx, you can send it to

201 W. Broadway, Building 4, Suite C
Columbia, MO 65203 

Q: Where do I get more claim forms?

A: You may make copies of a blank claim form or download additional forms here.  You may also call ASIFlex at (800) 659-3035 and request additional claim form

Q: How often are claim payments released?

A: ASIFlex releases payments each banking day (excludes major holidays).  However, please refer to your Summary Plan Description for specifics relating to your plan.

Q: Are the direct deposits to my bank account effective, with my bank, the same day the claim is processed?

A: No.  Federal banking regulations do not allow the deposit to be effective the day the deposit is generated by ASIFlex.  Therefore, the effective date of the deposit is the banking day following the release of payment of the claim by ASIFlex.

Q: When can I begin filing claims against my Flexible Spending Account?

A: You may file claims as soon as you incur charges (have services provided) after the plan year has begun.

Q: How often can I submit claims?

A: You may submit claims as frequently, or as infrequently, as you prefer.  You do have to file at least one claim each year prior to the claims filing deadline established by your plan.

Q: Is there a minimum claim amount?

A: No, ASIFlex does not have a minimum claim amount.  Reimbursements will be disbursed up to your available funds for all valid claim submissions.

Q: What does "incurred" mean?

A: Incurred is defined in Internal Revenue Code Section 125 as the date that that the services are provided that gave rise to the expense.  Expenses are not considered to be provided at the time you are billed for or pay for the services.  For the DCAP program, this means that if you pay for your services in advance, you cannot claim these expenses until they have all been provided.  For example, if you pay for February's day care expenses at the beginning of February, you cannot be reimbursed for all of February's expenses until the end of February.  You may, however, submit claims each week, at the end of that week, for the services provided in the previous week.

Q: How long does my authorization for direct deposit remain in effect with ASIFlex?

A: Your authorization for direct deposit remains in effect with ASIFlex until you change or revoke that authorization. ASIFlex does retain direct deposit information from Plan Year to Plan Year unless notified of a change by the participant.

Q: How do I change the account number or institution into which ASIFlex deposits my reimbursements?

A: Complete and sign the Direct Deposit Deposit Form. You are welcome to mail them to:

P O Box 6044
Columbia, MO 65205-6044

or fax to this form to ASIFlex at (877) 879-9038.

Q: Does my employer notify ASIFlex when I change my bank account number for direct deposit for payroll?

A: No.  You are responsible for notifying ASIFlex of any changes required for direct deposit of your FSA claims.

Q: How do I know if my claim form was received?

A: You can view all claims processed by ASIFlex on our website by clicking on the Account Detail the morning following ASIFlex’s review. Just follow the prompts to view your account. You also may call ASIFlex, the afternoon following your anticipated review of the claim to discuss your claim. ASIFlex customer service representatives are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m., and 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. Pacific Time on Saturday.

Q: How can I check on my remaining balance?

A: You may view your remaining balance and account activity on ASIFlex’s web site by clicking on the Account Detail button. In order to access your account, you must utilize your Flex PIN which was sent to you with your Confirmation of Enrollment statement and is included with all periodic statements sent out by ASI. If you do not have your Flex PIN, please call ASI at (800) 659-3035 Monday through Friday 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. Pacific Time to retrieve your access code. ASIFlex cannot release this information via email and the PIN will only be given out to the named participant.

A participant may also call ASIFlex's Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-3035 to obtain the account balance.

Q: Where do I get my PIN number for Internet?

A: ASIFlex prints your PIN on your FSA enrollment confirmation and each periodic statement. The plan participant may also request their PIN by calling ASIFlex's customer service at (800) 659-3035.

Q: Do Kindergarten charges qualify for my Dependent Care FSA?

A: No. Expenses for education do not qualify for your Dependent Care FSA. However, if you are charged for “after-care” for the portion of the day that your child attends the school that is charged for care and well-being, this charge does qualify for the Dependent Care FSA. Your provider must provide you with support for the charges for the portion that is specifically for care and well-being.

Q: Can I change my election amount after the plan?

A: Except as specified in this section, your election under the Plan is irrevocable for the Plan Year. These are the changes generally allowed. For specifics for your plan, please refer to the State of Oregon's Enrollment Guide.

You may change your election if you, your spouse, or a dependent experience an event listed below which results in a gain or loss of eligibility for coverage under the Dependent Care Assistance Program or a similar plan maintained by your spouse's employer or one of your dependent's employer and your desired election change corresponds with that gain or loss of coverage.

1. Your legal marital status changes through marriage, divorce, death or annulment.

2. If your child no longer qualifies for dependent care because he or she turned 13, then that is a loss of a dependent under the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account plan.

3. You, your spouse or any of your dependents have a change in employment status that affects eligibility under the DCAP.  If you terminate or take a leave of absence from your employer, then you must be gone at least 31 days for termination or leave of absence to qualify.

4. You, your spouse, or one of your dependents changes residence that causes a gain or loss of eligibility and coverage under the DCAP. Events 5 - 7 apply to Health Care Flexible Spending Account Plan, but not the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Plan.

5. You may change your election to correspond with a change made under another employer-sponsored plan as long as the change made under the other plan was permitted by IRS regulations or was made for a period of coverage that is different from your employer’s Flexible Benefit Plan.

6. You change dependent care providers (including school or other free provider). You may make a corresponding change to your Dependent Care Assistance Program and your future salary reductions if you change dependent care providers.

7. You may make a corresponding change to your Dependent Care Assistance Program and your future salary reductions if your dependent care provider who is not your relative changes your costs significantly. A relative is any person who is a relative according to Code §152(a)(1) through (8), incorporating the rules of Code §152(b)(1) and (2).

The election change request must be filed within 31 days of the date of the qualifying event and becomes effective on the 1st of the month following the event and the approval of the request. (The filing deadline & effective dates stated here are again, generic and may differ from specific plan to plan. Please refer to your Summary Plan Description.)

Your Salary Reduction amount for a pay period is, an amount equal to the annual contribution for your DCAP election, divided by the number of pay periods in the Plan Year following your effective date. If you increase an election under the Dependent Care Flexible Assistance Program, your Salary Reductions per pay period will be an amount equal to your new reimbursement limit elected less the Salary Reductions made prior to such election change, divided by the number of pay periods remaining in the Plan Year beginning with the election change effective date.

Any increase in your election may include only those expenses that are incurred during the period of coverage on or after the effective date of the increase. Your coverage for the remaining period of the year shall be calculated by adding the amount of contributions made prior to the change to the expected contributions after the effective date of the change and subtracting prior reimbursements.

Q: Can I claim dependent care expenses under my Dependent Care Assistance Program after my child turns 13 years old?

A: Expenses for dependent care no longer qualify for the DCAP on the day your child turns age 13 unless they have been certified as incapable of self-care. Care for dependents incapable of self-care qualifies to any age as long as it is for care and well-being while you are working or looking for work.

Q: Do charges for food, transportation, activity fees, etc. qualify for reimbursement from my Dependent Care FSA?

A: No. Only charges for care and well-being in order for you to work or look for work qualify for your DCAP. Separately billed charges for food, transportation, activity fees, etc. do not qualify.

Q: If I pay my dependent care provider in advance of the services, can I file my claim when I pay?

A: No. Only charges for care and well-being in order for you to work or look for work qualify for your DCAP. Separately billed charges for food, transportation, activity fees, etc. do not qualify.

Q: If I pay my dependent care provider in advance of the services, can I file my claim when I pay?

A: No. You may file claims for services provided after the period of service claimed has been completed. The service must be provided that gives rise to the expense. Expenses are not valid based on when paid.

Q: Do summer camps that include an overnight stay qualify for my DCAP?

A: No.  The Internal Revenue Code disqualifies expenses that include overnight care.  The charges cannot be prorated to include the portion that was for care during the day while you were working.

Q: Does summer school tuition qualify for my DCAP?

A: No. The Internal Revenue Code does not allow the tax exemption on expenses incurred for education.

Q: Do soccer, baseball, football, gymnastics, ballet, etc. day camps qualify for my DCAP?

A: Generally, no. However, if the primary purpose of these camps is for care and well-being in order for you (or you and your spouse if married) to be gainfully employed, they may qualify. If for care and well-being, you must send a statement, with each claim submitted, stating that child attends that camp primary for care and well-being and not for educational purposes.

Overnight camps are not eligible for reimbursement.