Frequently Asked Questions

This site, and the content herein, are designed specifically for State of Oregon employees.  This information is not deemed to function as the Oregon Flex Enrollment Guide.  If there is any conflict between this information and the Oregon Flex Enrollment Guide, the Oregon Flex Enrollment Guide will override this information.

Q.  Whose expenses qualify under my Medical FSA?

A. You may claim eligible health care expenses for yourself, your legal spouse* (if filing a joint tax return), and any qualified children or qualified relatives.  You may also claim medical expenses you incur and pay to medical providers of a child for whom you don't get the tax exemption due to a divorce decree, as long as one parent claims the child as a tax dependent. The tax exemption may switch from year to year between parents. As long as one parent gets the tax exemption, the medical expenses you pay on behalf of the child to the medical provider qualify under the Health Care Flexible Spending Account. 

* Since the United States v. Windsor decision by the US Supreme Court, the definition of a “spouse” as it regards same-sex couples may differ between federal law and the law of the state in which you reside.  For federal tax purposes, you may claim expenses for your same-sex spouse so long as you were married in a jurisdiction where same-sex marriages were allowed to be legally performed at the time of the marriage.  If you reside in a state in which same-sex marriages are not recognized, you should check with a tax consultant as to any state tax implications.  NOTE:  This court decision has no bearing on domestic partners.  Domestic partners are not spouses.

Q.  How does the FSA Debit Card work?

A. The FSA Debit Card is a convenience tool that allows you to access your pre-tax dollars directly, rather than paying for an expenses and waiting for reimbursement.  However, in many instances you will be required to submit follow-up documentation to insure that your purchases are only for FSA eligible expenses. You may also download and print the debit card application directly from ASI's website. Your card will arrive within 7-10 business days of submitting it to ASI.

For detailed information about the debit card, follow
this link.

Q.  Why do I have to sign my claim form?

A. The regulations in the Internal Revenue Code (Section 125) require that a participant provide a statement, with each claim submitted, that the expenses claimed were not paid by insurance or other means and reimbursement will not be sought from another party.

Q.  What documentation do I have to submit with my claim form?

A. Each item claimed must be supported by a statement of services from an independent provider. The insurance explanation of benefits (EOB), for items covered by insurance, may also be used since a statement of services has already been submitted to the insurance company for determination of service date and whether it was a qualifying expense. Documentation must contain the following information in order for payment to be issued:

  • the provider of services;
  • the person obtaining the care;
  • as well as the date of service(s);
  • the charge for the services;
  • a general description of services provided.

Q.  Do I have to send the original provider statements or insurance benefit statements?

A. No. Copies of provider statements are acceptable, as long as they are legible and have not been altered.

Q.  Do I have to provide proof of payment with my claim form?

A. Generally, no. The Internal Revenue Code does not require proof of payment prior to submitting the items claimed. The regulations require that the services have been provided that give rise to the expense. ASI has additional information available and requirements for orthodontic expenses. Also, some plan documents may be written to include a requirement for proof of payment. Please refer to your Oregon Flex Enrollment Guide for more details.

Q.  Why do I have to provide support, from the provider, of the date the services were provided rather than the date I paid or was billed for services?

A. The Internal Revenue Code regulations require that the statement from the independent provider include what type of service was provided for what period of time. The expenses must have been provided for care during the period that you were covered during the plan year. Statements showing payments made or bills for services are acceptable as long as they identify what service was provided, for whom, by whom, and for what period of time.

Q.  Why do I have to provide support, from the provider, of the general type of services provided?

A. The Internal Revenue Code regulations require that the statement of services from the independent provider indicate the type of services provided. The regulations also require that each item claimed be adjudicated by the plan (or administrator) to determine whether the expense qualifies under the plan and whether the services were incurred (services were provided) during the period that the participant was covered under the plan.

Q.  What items are required to be on the documentation from the provider?

A. The supporting documentation must identify the provider of services and the person obtaining the care as well as the date, cost and general description of services provided. The insurance explanation of benefits (EOB), for items covered by insurance, may also be used since a statement of services has already been submitted to the insurance company for determination of service date and whether it was a qualifying expense.

Q.  Can I fax my claims and, if so, to what phone number?  Is this a toll-free number?

A. Yes, you may fax your claims. ASI’s phone number for claims is 1-877-879-9038. This is a toll-free number.

Q.  What is the mailing address for mailing flexible spending account claims?

A. ASI’s mailing address for flexible spending account claims is:

PO Box 6044
Columbia, MO 65205-6044

This is the preferred mailing address. However, if sending something through a courier service such as UPS or FedEx, you can send it to:

201 W. Broadway, Bldg 4 Suite C
Columbia, MO 65203

Q.  Where do I get more claim forms?

A. You may make copies of a blank claim form or download additional forms
here. Additionally, please feel free to contact ASI's Customer Service Department via via email at or by calling ASI at 1-800-659-3035 to request additional forms.

Q.  If my claim is received via fax or US mail today in ASIFlex's office, when will it be reviewed?
A. ASI typically reviews all claims within one business day of receipt. Payments are issued for all eligible amounts the same day that a claim is processed.

Q.  Is payment for my Medical FSA released the same day te claim is reviewed and processed by ASIFlex?

A. ASI releases Medical FSA funds on the day the claim is reviewed (not always the day received).

Q.  How often are claim payments released?

A. ASI releases claim payments each business day, excluding major holidays, for claims processed that day.

Q.  Are the direct deposits to my bank account effective with my bank the same day a claim is processed?

A. No. Federal banking regulations do not allow the deposit to be effective the day the deposit is generated by ASI. Therefore, the effective date of the deposit is typically the banking day following the release of payment of the claim by ASI. However, this will vary based upon when your financial institution posts the deposit information (typically, credit unions take two business days for deposits to post to your account).

Q.  Do all prescription medicines (drugs available only by prescription from a physician) qualify for my Medical FSA?

A. Generally, yes, as long as they are prescription drugs and are legal under Federal and State law. However, prescriptions that are purchased solely for cosmetic purposes which are not treating an existing medical condition do not qualify under the plan.

Additionally, Federal law disallows the importation of drugs from foreign countries; as such, drugs purchased in foreign countries, even if they are prescription drugs, are not an allowable expense through your flexible spending program. The only exception to this rule is if you are in a foreign country and purchase and consume the drug while you are in the foreign country.

Q.  Do I need to itemize my prescriptions on my claim form?

A. Each prescription does not have to be listed on a separate line of the claim form. You are welcome to group prescriptions from the same pharmacy on one line of the claim form, indicating the range of fill dates and total of the prescriptions filled on those dates.

Q.  Can I send a credit card receipt as support for my claim form?

A. No. A credit card receipt only supports that a payment was made. Federal regulations require that the supporting documentation identify the provider of services and the person obtaining the care as well as the date, cost and general description of services provided. The insurance explanation of benefits (EOB), for items covered by insurance, may also be used since a statement of services has already been submitted to the insurance company for determination of service date and whether it was a qualifying expense.

Q.  When can I begin filing claims against my Flexible Spending Account?

A. You may file claims as soon as you incur charges (have services provided) after the plan year has begun.

Q.  How often can I submit claims?

A. You may submit claims as often or as infrequently as you prefer.  You do have to file at least one claim each year prior to the claims filing deadline.

Q.  Is there a minimum claim amount?

A. No. ASI does not have a claim minimum.

Q.  What does incurred mean?

A. Incurred is defined in Internal Revenue Code Section 125 as the date that the services are provided that gave rise to the expense. Expenses are not considered to be provided at the time you are billed for or pay for services.

Q.  How long do I have to submit claims after the Plan Year is over?

A. The deadline for filing claims for each Plan Year is defined in your Plan Document. Generally, plans allow 90 days after the end of the Plan Year to file claims for services provided during that Plan Year. Please refer to your Oregon Flex Enrollment Guide for specifics for your plan.

Q.  What happens if I leave employment mid-year?

A. The FSA is an active employee benefit.  If you sever employment with the State of Oregon mid-year you have two options.  Option one is to claim expenses that were incurred while you were actively employed by the State.  If you select this option, you have until March 31st following the close of the current plan year to submit claims.  Option two is to elect COBRA coverage, and pay the monthly contribution amount on a post-tax basis.  This option allows you to extend your period of coverage for the remainder of the plan year.

Q.  What are the requirements for reimbursements for over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and drugs?

A. OTC medicines & drugs can qualify for the Medical FSA if purchased to treat an existing or imminent medical condition. As of January 1, 2011, The Health Care Reform legislation has directed that many over the counter (OTC) medications will no longer be reimbursable with Flexible Spending Account funds, unless purchased in conjunction with a physician’s prescription.  Items purchased to treat an existing or imminent medical condition can be claimed but the participant must indicate on the claim submission what medical condition is being treated and the prescription.

Items such as vitamins, herbs or nutritional supplements are considered to be expenses incurred for general good health purposes and do not typically qualify for reimbursement through your FSA . In order to claim these items, you must have:
  • An existing or imminent medical condition;
  • A pre-printed receipt from the provider documenting the purchase;
  • A physician diagnosis and prescription for the specific item(s) if it is a vitamin, herb or nutritional supplement.
Please refer to ASI's Over-The-Counter Quick Reference Guide for more information. ASI has provided a sample letter of medical necessity for assistance.

Q.  Do health club dues, massages, vitamins, herbs and nutritional supplements and exercise equipment qualify for my Medical FSA?

A. Generally, no. Items such as those listed above are typically considered to be utilized for general good health purposes and, as such, typically do not qualify for the Medical FSA. However, if you have been diagnosed with a medical condition that necessitates the purchase of these items and you would not have purchased them if it were not for the medical condition, then they can qualify for your Medical FSA. To claim these items, you must have a letter of diagnosis and recommendation/prescription for these items to qualify under your Medical FSA. This letter is valid for 12 months from issue date. A sample letter of medical necessity is available by following
this link.

Q.  What transportation expenses qualify for the Medical FSA?

A. Transportation that is primarily for and essential to obtaining medical care.
  • Bus, taxi, train or plane fares or ambulance services,
  • Transportation expenses of a parent who must travel with a child who needs medical care,
  • Transportation expenses of a nurse or other person who can give injections, medications and other treatment required by a patient who is traveling to get medical care and is unable to travel alone, and
  • Transportation expenses for regular visits to see a mentally ill dependent, if these visits are recommended as part of treatment.
Mileage is reimbursable for use of a car for medical reasons. You can also include parking fees and tolls. You can add these fees and tolls to your expenses whether claiming actual car expenses or using the standard mileage rate. 

Q.  What do I need to submit to support mileage with my claim form?

A. You must list the number of miles you traveled to obtain the medical care on the claim form as a separate line item, multiplied by the current allowable amount (for automobile travel expenses you can use a standard rate of 23 cents per mile for services provided in 2015 and 23.5 cents per mile for services provided in 2014.) allowed by the Internal Revenue Code. It is preferable that you claim the mileage on the same claim form when you claim the cost for medical care. If you do not include the number of miles traveled within your claim submission packet, the request for reimbursement for your mileage expenses will be denied.

Q.  How long does my authorization for direct deposit remain in effect with ASIFlex?

A. Your authorization for direct deposit remains in effect with ASI until you change or revoke that authorization. ASI does retain direct deposit information from Plan Year to Plan Year unless notified of a change by the participant. 

Q.  How do I change the account number or institution into which ASIFlex deposits my reimbursements?

A. Complete and sign the direct deposit deposit form, available from
here. You are welcome to mail them to:

P O Box 6044
Columbia, MO 65205-6044

or fax to this form to ASI at 1-877-879-9038.

Q.  Does my employer notify ASIFlex when I change my bank account number for direct deposit for payroll?

A. No. You are responsible for notifying ASI of any changes required for direct deposit of your FSA claims.

Q.  How do I know if my claim form was received?

A. You can view all claims processed by ASI on our website by clicking on the
Account Detail the morning following ASI’s review. Just follow the prompts to view your account. You also may call ASI, the afternoon following your anticipated review of the claim to discuss your claim. ASI customer service representatives are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 5 AM to 5 PM, Pacific Time, and Saturday 7 AM to 11 AM Pacific Time.

Q.  How can I check on my remaining balance?

A. You may view your remaining balance and account activity on ASI’s web site by clicking on the
Account Detail button. In order to access your account, you must utilize your Flex PIN which was sent to you with your Confirmation of Enrollment statement and is included with all periodic statements sent out by ASI. If you do not have your Flex PIN, please call ASI at (800) 659-3035 Monday through Friday from 5 AM to 5 PM, Pacific Time, and Saturday 7 AM to 11 AM Pacific Time to retrieve your access code. ASI cannot release this information via email and the PIN will only be given out to the named participant.

A participant may also call ASI's Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-3035 to obtain the account balance. Again, due to Federal Privacy regulations, ASI can only release this information to the plan participant.

Q.  Where do I get my PIN number for online account access?

A. ASIFlex prints your PIN on your FSA enrollment confirmation and each periodic statement. The plan participant may also request their PIN by calling ASIFlex customer service at (800) 659-3035.

Q.  Where can I see a list of qualifying expenses for my Medical FSA?

A. ASIFlex has provided a detailed list of
Eligible Expenses. Please review. If you have additional questions, please contact ASI. The list provides a general overview and is not an all-inclusive list.

Q.  Can I change my election amount after the plan year has started?

A. Generally no. Your election under the Plan is irrevocable for the Plan Year unless you have a qualifying event.